Saturday, September 13, 2008

Raccoons And Bears, Oh My!

I saw my first raccoon the other night as I was walking into my apartment. It was the first live raccoon I'd ever seen and it was less than 3 meters away from me walking on the fence.

Those suckers be big! It stopped momentarily and gave me the beady eye as if it was getting ready to hop off the fence and run into the building behind me so I promptly got inside and shut the door before it could make its move.

I wish I had my camera with me at the time. I'm sure the raccoon would have attempted to rob it off me but it would have been worth it. Now every time I walk outside or into the apartment I'm always on the lookout for raccoons.

Also, in the last couple of days, just walking around I've noticed an increasing number of signs outside shop windows advertising "Bear Spray"! Is this a necessity in Vancouver in the Autumn months? Do the bears start coming out soon? And is a little spray bottle really good enough to keep a big hulking bear from charging you down and ripping you to shreds?? I for one will take my chances without the spray and on the odd chance of ever bumping into a bear will use the time tested method of running and screaming like a little girl.... or was that lie down and play dead? Those two always confuse me.

No comments: